Handy tips for your mid-year playgroup busy bee
It has only just hit me that we’re now in June and on the fast track to Christmas and New Year! Pass me the paper bag I’m feeling light-headed…
Where did the first half of the year go?
At this time of year, many playgroups are probably planning a mid-year busy bee – so here’s a quick list to get you started!
- Clean out the playgroup cupboards
- Update the equipment inventory
- Discard broken toys, old playdough and other perishables
- Wash paint smocks, dress-ups, tea towels and hand towels
- Disinfect baby toys
- Re-label shelves and equipment as necessary
- Top up supplies
- List items to be bought next year
- Make sure you allocate sufficient funds for to meet any expenditure required before the end of the year
And here are some great tips to get families involved with your busy bee:
- Nominate the day and call for volunteers to fill a 60-minute shift rather than a specific task.
- Write out tasks on post it notes and when people arrive ask them to take a post it note – once the job is done they are free to go!
- Set up a supervised area for toddlers and young children to play while parents help out. Perhaps you can ask families to complete a 60-minute task and then another 60-minutes supervising the kids?
- Put on a sausage sizzle and drinks to thank those who help out – or have a hamper ready to go and give each helper a raffle ticket to be drawn at the end of the busy bee.
What are your top tips for getting people involved – leave us a comment below!
Little Things …
For more ideas, call the Hotline on 1800 171 882 and ask to speak with a Development Officer.
Kath is a 40-year-old mum of three who works part time and enjoys reading, writing and catching up with other stressed out mums in her spare time. Usually she’s racing against the clock to make her boys (+ husband) arrive anywhere on time and feels quite the talented mother when two out of the three make it out of the house with shoes on!